Monday, April 7, 2014

The Top 10 Things Acting Has Taught Me...

On April 3rd, 2014, David Letterman announced his retirement from "The Late Show with David Letterman". Although I was surprised, I definitely understand why the 67 year old "King" of late night talk shows, who has kept me entertained for as long as I can remember, has decided to bow out.
So, in honor of Letterman, who will be retiring in 2015, I have decided to post "The Top 10 Things Acting Has Taught Me". Buckle up...
10. Just as I expected...I am good at doing something! - I mean, lets face it, we all have moments where we wonder "Why am I here", or "What is my purpose"? Well, for me, I dont have to wonder that anymore! Becoming an actor has answered those questions for me. I don't wake up anymore wondering "What am I going to do today?" Instead, I wake up and say "Let's make this happen!" "Do you know how freeing that is"? Its like "flying"!
09. Learning to listen is just as important as knowing when to talk. - I will be the first to admit I wasn't always a good listener. No! Let me rephrase that. I sucked at listening! My goal in every conversation was to always have something intelligent to say and to make sure that intelligent thought was the final word in every conversation. Acting has taught me how to effectively listen to what is being said to me, on and off camera - and you know what? It's not a bad thing. There are a lot of really intelligent people out there that I can learn from - besides myself! *insert smiley*
08. I need people, and people need me. - I use to believe, foolishly, that I didn't need anyone. I walked around believing that I was this "SuperHero" who walked around in this bright red cape all day "Saving the World" (Yes, I do have my hands on my hips), but at the end of my days I would be worn to the last drop. Acting has opened me up to the reality that I need people. Not just people I have known all my life, but in some cases, people I have just met. You can't be an actor and live in a bubble. I mean, you can, but then the question is what is your purpose? Acting is a gift to be given to the world, and at the end of the day, it feels good to say "I got people!" Ha!
07. That your mind, body and soul works as one. - When I would hear the term "fit" my thoughts would instantly go to body. Everyone wants to be "fit". They want to look good and feel good, but newsflash! Being fit extends far beyond the physical. Your mind and soul (or spirit) requires just as much working out and upkeep as your outside, if sometimes not more. You can't be pretty on the outside but lacking on the inside, because if your are, then I hate to tell you this, but you still have a deficit. I am now just as focused on improving and keeping up my health on the outside as I am on the inside. Prayer, meditation, mind games that help my memory, and exercise and eating right all go hand in hand. I must admit I have never felt better! *I have seen the light!*
06. Haters really are your motivators. - This one sort of speaks for itself. I didnt think haters were real. I just thought either people like you or they dont. I have learned that its not so cut and dry. They love you until you are doing something that makes you happy, gives you passion, and (in my case) something that may bring you fame or fortune (or if you are lucky, both!). Think I am joking? Can I tell you that the ones on social media who loved all my negative posts started to shrink away once my life found its positive. My life game is growing, but my like game is going! (Go ahead, you can have that!) Its not a game! I love it though...it makes me want to weed out the fake ones. Now I am asking..."Who's next?"
05. To be myself. - There is no one better to be me than me. Any questions?
04. That I am beautiful. - Growing up I hated being dark. I hated my big nose. I hated my wide lips, and I hated being tall. Hell, was there anything left to love? Acting has taught me to love myself. I mean really love me. That all my body parts are well oiled and capable of carrying out any task set before me. They work cohesively to make me the budding talent that I am. That before my beauty shines on the outside that it is what comes from inside, in person, and on camera or stage, that makes me damn sexy! I love these lips that speak these lines...the nose that takes wonderful selfies, the height that makes me average for screen, and my skin that looks like smooth chocolate when the director yells "action!" I also love that I keep getting hit up to play "the sexy vixen" by CD's. "Check!'
03. Being grateful is the way to success. - Success is relative. For me it doesn't mean failure doesnt happen, or that I dont get knocked down. What it does mean is that I am happy in every moment, and content with sharing my passion and purpose...Acting. I don't hate the past. It has made me who I am. I don't worry about the future. I am not there yet. What I am good at is being grateful for the right now. Knowing that in this moment I have absolutely everything I need to be successful and to live my life. Once I accepted that I have everything I need, the flood gates flung open...and the acting work is rolling in. *Checks emails*
02. Judging others is just plain stupid. - Acting has taught me to appreciate "the struggle", and open to accepting others flaws. We all have them. No one is perfect and at some point everyone is fighting some sort of battle. I have always asked God, and the Universe, to let acting open doors to make me a blessing to others. I can't be a blessing judging others. So I have replaced judgement with compassion and empathy. Not to mention the fact that it helps in building my own roles and characters and understanding why people do what they do.
01. I AM A STAR! - No conceitedness intended. I have Vision, Discipline, Courage, and Beliefs. I Thrive in Competition, and am Open-Minded. I possess Passion, Creativity, and find joy in being a Self-Starter. I am more than just talent. I am depth, love, purpose, pain and motivation all in one. I Am A Star..and So Are Y.O.U! Own it!

No comments:

Post a Comment