Hello, beautiful people! I havent posted in a few days. Well, since New Years Eve to be exact. Forgive me. In my attempt to always be an honest person, part of the reason why I havent blogged is that I have been super-hecka busy. (Yes, I used "super-hecka" and yes, my English professor would die if she saw it!) With auditions coming up in both NY and LA within a few months, I have been doing intensive scene work and studying, coupled with a massive amount of memorization. The other reason why I havent posted in awhile is because I really didnt know what to post. (Having a blog isnt as easy as those bloggers make it seem...thanks Necole Bitchie for the set-up!) Anywayyyyyy...as I was at my desk working today (I know real actors dont work 9-5's, but I am "up and coming" pretty well), I realized that something has been happening to me on a steady basis and it required my blog platform. People (friends and strangers alike) have been inboxing me on Facebook asking for help, or direction, with their acting career. Now, by no means, (and I mean none), am I saying I am your go to person for acting advice. I am an actor working hard, making sacrifices, and going broke to reach a dream just like any other actor who feels this is their purpose. (Actually, I know it is mines, but thats just because I know me.) My grind for acting causes my mind to always be on, I cant sleep, sometimes I cant eat, and all I want to do is work work work. So I thought to myself "Maybe that is what others see? They see my grind." So I asked my trusted friend Kim "What do I do? I dont know what to say or if I can even be of any help..." and she said "Share what you can. Just like God is making a way for you to get ahead, others want to get ahead as well. No one can stop your blessing!" So here I am people. I am going to use this blog to do just that. Share some of how I think, do, move. Now, some of you may want to stop reading at this point if you are content with where you are, but for those acting or not, who want to find purpose and push it with all they have to reach their dreams here is what I do....
1. Know what you want and why you want it. - You want to act? Why? For fame? Money? Both? I am here to tell you some very scary news. The industry only breaks in less than 1% of new actors a year! That means we stand better chances of being eaten by an alligator or being struck by lightening. I act because growing up pretending was an outlet for me. I love it! It brings me peace and purpose. You choose why for you.
2. Set goals. - No, really. Set them. I set goals in this business every year by 12/31. I literally write them down. Build on top of them. One year it may be I want good acting lessons. Make it happen! The next year it may be I want to star in a play at such and such theatre. Make it happen! Next it may be I want to go to NY. (I'm going to NY!!!) Make it happen! Just remember you have to see it to believe it.
3 Write it down. - Nothing beats having your goals written down on paper. Got a journal? Use it. Heard Tyler Perry say something inspirational? Quick! Write it down. Heard your acting coach mention something that stood out? Write it down. This has helped me tremendously.
4. Online is your best friend. - I research everything. EVERYTHING! Someone may think they are having a general convo with me about acting...there is NEVER a general conversation with M.E. My mind is business 24/7! I am a business woman. Everything I hear has opportunity. If I dont know what it is, I bet I know how to find it. Depend on yourself to find out everything!
5. Get GREAT headshots. - Not good headshots. Great headshots. Remember that 1%? Yeah. Great headshots!
6. Build a solid resume. - Do you want to know how to get work? Your headshot and your resume. I am going to help you with something. there are 4 headings to your resume; TV, FILM, THEATRE, COMMERCIAL. Fill them as best you can.
7. Train. Train. Train. - I have classes and instructors and instructors and classes everywhere! One cant work? No problem, another one can. Group classes, individual classes. Did you see "Being Mary Jane"? Gabrielle Union's scene with the wife? Intense...and so real. Yes, you have to train for that!
8. Network all day. - You should know a new name in this business everyday. EVERYDAY! You should know who they are, where they are, what they do...I can roll off names of industry people I never even met before. Their IMDB, where they went to school, who they worked for. Do you think I am going to these auditions in NY and LA and not know about these casting directors...Oh! I have done my howework!
9. Get business cards. - Pretty self explanatory. Never leave someone wondering "Who was she?' Let them know who you are and where they can find you.
10. Pray. - Whether you are the praying type (I pray and meditate every morning for my family and my acting career which right now receive the same amount of attention) or youre not, prayer never hurt anyone. Not saying you have to pray, but I cant explain how I have gotten this far except by the Grace of God and prayer! For Him I am eternally thankful for all my blessings.
I dont know if this extra information explains me a little bit more but I am a true Aries. Everything you read about them (Google it now if you like) is true about me! I have never met a lying Aries horoscope. I am business minded first, even when it comes to my family.
WHEW!!!! There! Now whenever someone asks me for advice I will refer them to this blog post dated 1.8.14 titled "Be A Blessing"! Thanking my Father for even putting me in a space to have to do this right here. It means that there are greater things in store!
Enjoy your day, everyone and remember...This is acting and ACTING IS MY BUSINESS!

Awesome!
ReplyDeleteAB SO Lutely! Fabulous!
ReplyDelete